Throughout the Canary Islands, high-quality medical care is available in a variety of both private and public hospitals, clinics and medical centers.

Hospitals include the Hospital General de Lanzarote in the capital, Arrecife, and a private hospital in Lanzarote's popular resort, Puerto del Carmen, on the southeast coast, called Hospiten Lanzarote.

In addition, there are either public (Centro de Salud) or private medical centers in all major resorts. In private hospitals, tourists have to pay for their treatment, of course.

The Canaries are not known for any particular diseases, but please remember that the climate is very warm, so be sure to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration, and always protect yourself from the sun.

It is very unlikely that you will need medical treatment during your holiday, but it is recommended that you take out a comprehensive travel health insurance for your inner peace. Please remember to take your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) with which all EU citizens are eligible for public health care..

State hospitals provide an interpreting service and there are many English-speaking doctors and dentists who work in private clinics. Ask at the reception of your hotel for a recommendation if you need one.

In the local pharmacies (Farmacias), which is recognized by a green cross, you can get painkillers and medication of the most famous brands. It is always good to take a sufficient supply of necessary medicines and pain relievers with you on vacation.

Smaller health problems can often be solved in the pharmacy and in every region a pharmacy is also open outside the normal opening hours.

The E111

On 1 January 2006 the form E111 was replaced by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card entitles British citizens to free equivalent health treatment within the EU if they fall ill or have an accident whilst abroad. To obtain the EHIC, go to the NHS website at: and follow the instructions or phone 0845 606 2030 (in the UK) or 00 44 191 212 7500 (if calling from abroad).

In order to be covered by the EHIC you must take it with you when you travel in the EU.

Mike White
Author: Mike WhiteWebsite:
Writer, thinker and rider of the deep blue waves. However, a frequent traveller when time allows being part of Lanzarote since 2013.
You can find me running around Costa Teguise in the morning flare or feasting on local tapas in the afternoon.
" Life is meaningless without Mojo and Bimbachitos. "